Sunday, September 16, 2012

May Retrospective

From the very merry month of May

Cates appears to be happy in her sling/backpack but it's just an illusion. She's happy for about 5 minutes and then she's done. :( I chose this sling specifically because of the backpack option--read "hands and front of my body free"--but so far she's either unhappy or yanking on my hair. Ah well, I'll keep giving it a try from time to time.


The best kind of sandwich.

When Jeremy lays on the floor to crack his back Moses thinks this is an invitation to pounce on Dad.
 Ah, CandyLand.  We were hoping to help Moses learn some structured/situational rules through playing games. He does well for about one round and then the game degenerates into the little candy men "bashing each other." Also, we include Cates when we play and take turns moving her game piece. And, I shall say, I am NOT a fan of the updated gameboard. It's way too busy and kind of hard to see the candy path compared to the old one.
We also picked up a fun little balancing game that we can play together.  
 I was pleased to find this game in the used section of a toy store. It's called "Elefun" and the elephant spouts little butterflies from its trunk which you (or Moses) are supposed to catch in the butterfly nets. It is the perfect thing to bring out at about the 3:30pm lull and get the body movin'.  For the record, Moses doesn't actually catch the butterflies in his net. He just jumps up and down and whaps at them exclaiming, "I got it! I got one!"


We are borrowing this piano from our friend Ryann and Cates ADORES it. I am even thinking of buying our own so that we can have it for other eventual Rios kiddos.
Everybody say, "awwwww."
We borrowed this Jolly Jumper from our friends Hannah and Ethan. Since we're in a basement apartment it was tricky to find a doorframe that was appropriate for its use. And, once I did find a doorframe, it creaked so much that I couldn't be at peace while Cates bounced away. I kept picturing the whole thing snapping off and tears (hers and mine)...even though I know many, many, many kiddos use these things without incident. Plus, the whole point is that it's supposed to free time up for me and it doesn't if I'm nervously surveying her.



A weed, I mean, flower, for me. :)
We are friends of the aquarium in Vancouver and picked up these sea creatures during one of our visits there. They have been GREAT! Moses plays with these everywhere--in the sink, in the bath, out of the bath on the floor, in a bowl on the table, in the car...you name it. When we play in the bowl on the table he likes to choose a food coloring drop or two for the water. His traditional choice is blue water first. About 10 minutes into play he asks for red so he can make purple water.
The best place to be.

I made these "Shibs" (shirt-bibs) in time for Cates to start solids. I think it's one of the best things I figured out from being a mom the first time--They are simple long sleeved t-shirts with a slit up the back and snaps attached. This is a full coverage bib that can be unsnapped and pulled off easily with no mess. Love them! And, this project was my reason to start learning how to sew. :)
Starting with brown rice...
You can see the results on this video.
This bib is just for drool.
Almost nothing I love more than a little girl in a sundress!




So Holly Hobbie!
Our favourite pajama pose. Now each time he does this he wants me to take a picture. So I do. With an imaginary camera.

Moses regularly pretends he is an animal. Usually, it's whatever animal has been featured on PBS's Wild Kratts. For a long stint there he was a beaver. He would build dams out of pillows on his bed, hatch out of an egg and crawl around making baby beaver sounds. So, I thought that surely, SURELY he would love having a beaver tale to play with. Nope. Won't wear it. But at least I enjoyed making it (it was a sewing challenge and creative outlet for me :)). Maybe in another year or two he'll pull it out and enjoy it? I was going to make an elephant trunk as well (and have the material) but I've put that project on hold for obvious reasons that happen to be 3 years old.
This is Cates's Main Man. This little alien dude from McDonald's is her favourite companion. He is very patient and doesn't seem to mind that she chews on him. It's supposed to be a top but no one in the Rios household has yet figured out how to make him spin. (lens cap included in the photo for scale)
 
Didn't prompt this moment. Just captured it. :)

Munching on the computer.

Love little girl dresses.
Playsilks with trainset. Yay! (He's playing with something I made him. :)) For those of you less inclined to make the connection, the blue is water and the brown and green are land.

No picture of Moses is accurate at this stage without the lingering boy residue just below his lip.
A Monday summertime outing. Fish and Chips on the pier at Steveston.

Definition of Cates = Happy Girl.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the pictures, Liesel! At some point you will have to borrow Jeremy's FB account to look at all of ours.

    The girls out here LOVE both Wild Kratts and Word Girl. I'm glad that there is someone else out there that knows about this TV show. We seem to be the only ones.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the pictures!! Alexander and Moses sound a lot alike in the sense that Alexander ignores the toys/games I make for him more often than not ;-). Currently, he prefers digging for "treasures" in all our cabinets, drawers, and especially in my purse... hence me ending up with a full cart of groceries and no wallet twice in recent months, ha!

    ReplyDelete