Before Moses was born I was hoping to use cloth diapers on him and looked into diaper services in Vancouver. It was then that I learned that cloth diapers have come a long way since the pre-folds and pins my Mom used on my brother and me! There are all sorts of options when it comes to cloth. One company (New and Green Baby Company) even offered a chance to "test drive" about 12 different types/brands of cloth diapers for two weeks. I was sold! I got the tester kit in late August and am now the proud owner of a growing arsenal of "pocket diapers", "all-in-ones" and even a couple of wool diaper covers for overnight.
There was a bit of a learning curve when it came to learning about the natural fibres and different properties of each diaper but once I got the hang of it I really enjoyed it! Technically, I could have found "the" one type of diaper I liked the most and then bought a whole bunch of them. But, ladies, it's like shoes: why have just one pair? You know, you need the heels, the flats, the tennis shoes--something for each occasion. With these cloth diapers it's like that: you want something that works best for overnight, something for naps, something that's trim fitting for under jeans, something that dries in a flash, something that's super easy for outings and for babysitters...you get the picture.
Here Moses demonstrates that the velcro closure isn't maybe the best option for just sitting around in one's skivvies...but it sure is easy for Mom now that changing Moses' diaper is like trying to change a greased pig. Man, the kid is wiggly! Many of the other diapers have snaps to keep them closed.
The other thing that's great about some kinds of cloth diapers these days is that they will often last through more than one child. I tried to choose colours that I thought would work on both boy and girl Rioslings. This is one case where it's okay (and even cute) to let your underwear show!
Moses lounges in a pre-fold with a polka-dotted diaper cover to keep everything around him dry. I like to use the pre-folds in the morning when we work on going to the potty. But that's a conversation for another post... :)
Great article! Your little guy is a cutie.
ReplyDeleteHi Liesel! I just found your blog. Your little guy is so beautiful. Congratulations!! It's so funny that you posted this about cloth diapers. I have cloth diapered Madeline since birth. And I love it! You're so right... it's just like shoes :)
ReplyDelete